Astellas Pharma Associate Director, RNA Homeostasis Gene Therapy in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing an Associate Director, RNA Homeostasis Gene Therapy opportunity at their affiliate Astellas Innovation Management (AIM) in Cambridge, MA.
The Incubation Research Laboratory (iLab) is part of Astellas Innovation Management, a recently established Research and Development division of Astellas located in a state-of-the-art facility in the heart of the Cambridge biomedical ecosystem.
We are looking for a creative and energetic scientist who can lead and manage small research group to conceptualize and advance research projects. The candidate must be capable of defining technical objectives of new and existing programs and to plan the execution of efforts and lead a small team to meet objectives. She/He will 1) apply expertise and scientific knowledge to ongoing research and toward development of new project proposals; 2) plan and direct laboratory Research and Development activities by assessing underlying technical and conceptual risks and defining approaches and methodologies, which are innovative and creative, in order to achieve goals; 3) lead not only a research project but also small research team and maximize the outcome of small team; 4)Take a leadership role contributing across internal cross-functional groups, and through familiarity with scientific literature and participation at conferences.
The successful candidate will have a specific understanding of molecule mechanism of RNA homeostasis (transcription, splicing, translation, RNA processing, etc.) and gene therapy to modulate the pathogenesis of RNA homeostasis disfunction.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Lead project and small research team that can establish the capabilities on gene therapy.
- Performs research on RNA homeostasis disorders by gene therapy approach including gene editing
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses. Investigates, creates and develops new methods and technologies for project advancement.
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated and capable of initiating establishment of new/existing methodologies to support new and ongoing projects
- Aligns with company's objectives and project timelines to solve complex problems in creative and effective ways
- Works in collaboration with Astellas R&D, CROs, consultants and academia
- Maintains guidelines for lab supplies, instruments, lab data records, and lab safety.
- We are seeking a PhD level scientist with 8+, MS with 10+, or BS with 15 years experience in drug discovery, biotechnology, or academic leadership.
- Demonstrated industry experience or academic achievement, as evidenced by high quality publications and/or contribution to drug development portfolio
- Ability to collaborate with external partners across multiple scientific disciplines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in standard molecular biology, biochemistry, and/or pharmacology
1 or more of the qualifications below:
Broad knowledge in disease-causing perturbations in RNA expression, translation, processing, splicing, modification, retrotransposition etc.
- Expertise in in vitro and in vivo assays on gene therapy (AAV vector and/or gene editing)
- Previous experience in program and/or team management
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Research and Development