Astellas Pharma Associate Manager, Legal & IP Operations in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing an Associate Manager, Legal & IP Operations in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
The Legal & IP Operations Associate Manager is responsible to help drive peak operational performance by providing timely and high-quality support to the Legal, IP Legal and IP INV Divisions.
This position will support all aspects of financial operations, including, financial management, budgeting, legal spend tracking and data analysis. This role is responsible for support on legal matter budgeting, both system and process related support, and analyzing and summarizing legal matter level budgets and spend. This role will also summarize and analyze budget and financial results data for all legal expenses, including payroll and non-payroll related expenses.
This role will support global financial reporting for Legal and IP Legal Divisions by gathering, consolidating and analyzing performance of the Legal and IP Legal Divisions. This role is also responsible for data integrity and Legal Matter level detail in the Legal Matter management and eBilling system.
This role will provide other Legal Operations support in areas, such as vendor management, technology, resource management, communications and special projects, as needed.
This is a global role based at the European headquarters.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
The Legal & IP Operations Associate Manager will be responsible for the following:
Legal Financial Operations
Supporting the implementation and governance of financial management processes to achieve operational efficiency, including budgeting, spend, accrual and forecasting processes
- Ensuring compliance by law firms to the law firm management program, including (i) budget and spend management processes and data integrity for all legal matters; (ii) preparing data for relationship meetings with strategic law firms providers; and (iii) developing data analytics and dash-boarding to track key performance indicators
- Developing metrics and tracking performance on cost savings initiatives
- Conducting monthly financial reviews at the Legal Matter detail level with members of the Legal and IP Legal teams
- Collaborating with outside counsel on timely invoice submission and accrual submission
- Performing monthly finance data validations
- Conducting monthly accrual process and validating accruals
Managing the standard monthly report process for Legal and IP Legal leadership
- Preparing ongoing analysis of budget v spend on Legal Matter level detail
- Summarizing quarterly performance variations
- Preparing draft quarterly forecast detail
- Preparing draft plan/budget projections
- Preparing ad hoc reporting as requested
- Legal Operations Support
Supporting the Legal & IP Operations Director of Vendor Management to evaluate and improve law firm performance and governing processes with outside counsel to ensuring data integrity in legal spend management system and compliance with outside counsel guidelines
- Leading certain aspects of technology implementation or governance and provide technical expertise as it relates to legal operations, as requested
- Providing Legal Operations support as requested
- Reports to Legal & IP Operations Lead, Assistant Director
- Works closely and collaborates with all members of the Legal, IP Legal and IP INV teams
- Works closely and collaborates with other functions in Legal and IP Operations, including, Vendor Management and Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 5 or more years of experience in managing finance operations in an in-house Legal and IP department of a multi-national company
- Solid understanding of all types of legal matters and related budget/spend data and processes
- Deep level knowledge and experience with law department matter management and e-billing technologies
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills, including strong presentation and executive presence
- Strong project management experience/skills
- Strong leadership and planning skills
- Strong work ethic and ability to manage large workload, multi-task and focus on critical priorities and otherwise effectively meet client needs. Ability to produce high quality work under deadline pressures.
- Team player and able to build relationships both internally and externally.
- Strong organization and teamwork skills. Detail oriented, self-motivated and able to motivate others.
- A strong commitment to integrity and professionalism and demonstrated passion for excellence
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled