Astellas Pharma Director Patient Insights & Solutions in United States
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Director Patient Insights & Solutions remote position and is considering candidates from San Francisco, CA, Cambridge, MA, Europe or the UK.
Purpose & Scope:
The Director, Patient Insights and Solutions will provide support to M&D teams as well as Global Business Units with a focus on leading initiatives to develop a deep understanding of the patient dynamics in the real world and define solutions to address patients' needs and barriers to care in order to help them achieve outcomes that matter. This will be accomplished with an emphasis on patient and clinician perspectives regarding medical value, outcome expectations and treatment choices. This role will have a particular focus on the behavioral aspects of care and the impact of behavior on decision-making from a patient and practitioner perspective. Integration of Real-World Evidence will also be a critical component of the work, utilizing innovative approaches to develop deep understandings of patients in their environment with the ultimate goal of developing new opportunities to provide clinically meaningful benefit to our patients. The work will include traditional as well as innovative work streams to improve our understanding of the patient, the practitioner and the environment in which the delivery of care exists. Leading the process designed to provide a patient focused insight or solution to a question posed by an internal customer will be a critical component of the work and the person in this role will be ultimately accountable for the process and the deliverable, utilizing a matrix environment to assemble an appropriate team.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- This role will work closely with the Medical Affairs, Development teams and Global Business Units, to align work streams with unit priorities to assist in developing a deep understanding of patient and practitioner perspectives as well as the environment in which they exist to provide options for delivering new, clinically meaningful treatment options and approaches including "beyond the drug" (Rx+)
- Collaborate with internal technology and digitally facing teams as well as Rx+ teams to utilize new technologies/wearables to better understand the context in which our patients live in the real-world environment -- the environment where our interventions will need to have meaningful impact
- Work closely with a newly developed Behavioral Science Consortium to integrate behavioral aspects of care from a patient and practitioner standpoint
- Collaborate closely with other Patient Centricity teams to create a continuum of patient insights and solutions from Discovery through Life Cycle Strategy
- Assist and support late stage development and post marketing activities to align protocols and measured outcomes with patient expectations
- Assemble and lead a matrix global team of collaborators to provide efficient processes that lead to innovative, patient focused solutions
The individual in this role will support the needs of later stage development teams and the global business units providing a deep understanding of patient behavior, perspectives, and outcomes of interest and patient/practitioner expectations. The goal is to provide, through a better understanding of patient and practitioner behaviors in a real-world setting, a better, more enhanced and differentiated approach to care. Ultimately, this individual will support the deployment of patient focused interventions (including "beyond the drug" approaches) that provide clinically meaningful benefit. As such, the success of this role will be measured by the level and quality of support provided to the primary customers, the number of projects supported and the impact the inputs have had on decision-making of the primary customers (Development teams, Business units, Patient Centricity teams, others). Therefore, the primary measures of success will include: number of projects completed (complexity assessed as well), quality of work, impact on decision-making. Assessment tools will include regular (ongoing, mid-year and end of year) feedback from internal partners and managers. These assessments will include impact on decision-making, timeliness of outputs, innovative approaches utilized and impacts on work streams. In the case of Development support, the impact on protocol development and informed consent documents through the facilitation and conduct of patient interviews/panels, could also be considered impactful and measurable outcomes. Additional methods of evaluation may be employed depending on the project.
This role will be part of a newly created Patient Insights and Solutions team within the Patient Centricity Division. This individual will report to the Head, Patient Insights and Solutions. However, the person in this role will be required to assemble and lead appropriate matrix global teams to be successful. There will be no immediate direct reports to this position.
- Bachelor's Degree in a business or science focused area
- Minimum 10 years' experience in Pharma
- Good understanding of the interface between patients and new technologies to capture real world data as it relates to chronic illness and treatment approaches
- Understanding of behavioral science approaches to capture patient/practitioner behaviors as related to care options and choice patterns
- Minimum 5 years patient facing work. Could include product/brand management, commercial, market access or direct health care/health care delivery experience
- Strong ability to network, collaborate and work in complex environment with multiple customers
- Ability to lead multiple projects independently and manage timelines while providing innovative solutions to complex questions
- Comfort with and ability to assemble and lead matrix global teams
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- High degree of comfort working in a global matrix environment
- Advanced degree in health/science related field: MD/DO, PhD, PharmD
- Educational or work background in psychology or related field
- Information technology and/or Digital Health background/experience utilizing new technologies and Real-World Evidence to drive new approaches that positively impact patient care
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Patient Centricity